Simple Sausage Stuffing
- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30-35 Minutes
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 3½ cups *hot turkey broth (recipe follows)
- ½ pound turkey breakfast sausage, cooked and cases removed
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces
- Vegetable cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
In large bowl, combine margarine, onions, poultry seasoning and stuffing mix. Add broth and stir to mix. Stir sausage and mushrooms into stuffing mixture.
Pack stuffing mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until stuffing is heated to an internal temperature of 165 °F and lightly browned on top.
*To prepare turkey broth, take giblets from turkey cavity and rinse under cold running water. Place all giblets, except the liver, in 3-quart saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to boil and skim off white foam; reduce heat. Simmer 1 hour, add liver and continue cooking 15 minutes. Remove giblets, cool and remove meat from neck. Chop all meat from giblets and, if desired, add to gravy. This broth is good for use in stuffing and gravy. Any leftover may be frozen and used as base for turkey soup.