Savory Fig and Sausage Dressing
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 Cups finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 Cups cored and finely chopped apple
- 1-1/2 Cups finely chopped celery
- 1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons ground sage
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 12 Cups unseasoned dry bread cubes
- 2-1/2 Cups coarsely chopped figs
- 1/2 Pound mild ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE, cooked and chopped
- 1 Cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 to 1-1/4 Cups dry white wine
- 1 to 1-1/4 Cups TURKEY BROTH
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Over medium heat and in large deep skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add onion, apple and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
Remove from heat. Add poultry seasoning, orange peel, sage and thyme. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding enough wine and broth to moisten. Blend well.
Place in buttered 13-x-9-inch baking dish or large casserole. Cover and bake for 45 minutes; remove cover and continue baking 15 minutes until heated through and top is crisp. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
OR, spoon stuffing into cavities of a 12- to 15-pound turkey. Roast turkey in a 325 degree oven. Cook until the internal temperature of the stuffing reaches 165 degrees F.