Turkey Breast with Southwestern Cornbread Dressing
- Southwestern Cornbread Dressing
- 5 Cups coarsley crumbled prepared cornbread
- 4 English muffins, coarsely crumbled
- 3 Mild green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 Cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1/2 Teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 Pound ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE
- 3 Cups chopped celery
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons TURKEY BROTH or water (optional)
- Roasted Turkey Breast
- 1 (5-6 Pound) BONE-IN TURKEY BREAST
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro As needed
- red and green whole peppers, for garnish
Southwestern Cornbread Dressing
In large bowl combine cornbread, muffins, chilies, red pepper, pine nuts, 1 tablespoon cilantro, parsley, basil, thyme and oregano; set aside.
In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook turkey sausage, celery and onion 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
Combine turkey sausage mixture with cornbread mixture. Add broth or water if mixture is too dry; set aside.
Roasted Turkey Breast
Loosen skin on both sides of turkey breast, being careful not to tear skin, leaving it connected at breast bone. Spread 1 tablespoon garlic under loosened skin over each breast half. Repeat procedure, spreading 1/4 cup cilantro over each breast half.
Place turkey on a rack in a 13-X 9-X 2-inch roasting pan, lightly coated with vegetable cooking spray. Spoon half of stuffing mixture under breast cavity. Spoon remaining stuffing into 2-quart casserole, lightly coated with vegetable cooking spray; cover and refrigerate.
Roast turkey breast, uncovered, in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until food thermometer registers 165 to 170 degrees F in deepest portion of breast. For reasons of personal preference, cook turkey to higher temperatures but not to exceed 170 °F in the breast and 180 °F in the thigh. The center of the stuffing should reach 165 °F before removing the turkey from the oven. Bake stuffing casserole, uncovered, along with turkey breast during last 45 minutes.
Allow turkey breast to stand for 15 minutes before carving. Transfer to platter and garnish with red and green whole peppers.